1893 – Rev. Francis Clement Kelley from Lapeer became the first priest to visit Otisville.
Over fifty years later, in 1946, three laymen, Phillip Utley, Gerald Ruddy, and Albert Brooks, circulated a petition that was sent to Bishop Joseph H. Albers requesting a permanent misson to be established at Otisville.
1947 – Fr. Earl V. Sheridan, pastor of St. John in Davison, began to celebrate Masses at the Otisville Community Center.
The Rudolph Quaderer family donated two lots of their farm which they called “Our Lady’s Acres” to be used for the erection of a church.
1948 – During the Octave of St. Margaret Mary, the bishop of Lansing established in Otisville the St. Margaret Mary Misson and appointed priests of St. John in Davison to care for spiritual needs of this community.
Bishop Francis Kelly, in his days as a pastor in Lapeer, often celebrated Mass for the people in Otisville and after his death in 1948 the Extension Society, which he founded, donated $5,000 in his memory towards building a Catholic church in Otisville.
1949 – On Easter Sunday, April 17, ground was broken for the building of the church. The first Mass was celebrated on September 18. Parishioners donated many thousands of hours of free labor during construction. Most of the landscaping and the interior decoration were done by people of the parish.
On December 4, the bishop blessed the building and named it St. Francis Xavier in memory of Bishop Kelley.
1953 – Fr. Donahoe completed the church by adding a bell tower and baptistery. The Quaderer family donated an additional three lots. The members of the parish began to work toward building a rectory with the hope that a resident priest would be appointed.
1964 – Through the efforts of Fr. Bernard Beahan, the rectory was built. Until a priest was appointed, it was used for religious education.
1969 – Fr. Adolph Oser was appointed as resident administrator.
1973 – The parish hall was erected and named in memory of Rudolph and Genevieve Quaderer and was used for religious education and community gatherings. It was dedicated on February 4.
1979 – Fr. Frank Jansen succeeded Fr. Oser as pastor until his retirement in 1989.
1989 – Sr. Bernenice Janszen was appointed as Pastoral Coordinator of the parish. Fr. Gerald Ploof was appointed as pastor until 1991.
1991 – Increasing attendance, projections for growth, and the need to update the present church liturgically the Parish Pastoral Council on November 7, after having consulted with the bishop, chose to move ahead in the process for building a new church.
Fr. Phillip Schweda was appointed Sacramental Minister.
1992 – On August 29, ground was broken for a new St. Francis Xavier Church to be built adjacent to and in connection with the present church. On September 20, the congregation assembled for the blessing of the cornerstone.
1993 – The new church was dedicated on Sunday, February 21, with Bishop Kenneth J. Povish presiding.
Fr. Eoin Murphy was appointed Sacramental Minister.
1994 – Sr. Carol Weber succeeded Sr. Berenice Janszen as Pastoral Coordinator.
Quaderer Hall was remodeled. An addition for teaching space, Religious Education Office and handicapped bathroom was added to the north end and the entire building was bricked to match the rest of the parish buildings.
St. Francis Food Pantry was founded to assist those in our area.
1997 – Sr. Carol Weber declared a Year of Jubilee to celebrate and remember our first 50 years. It was at this Jubilee year, 1997, that a Time Capsule was buried. Included in the capsule were pictures of interest and a simple booklet with pages written by parish members of all ages. The first and second graders of 1997 were commissioned to open the time capsule in 50 years. The Time Capsule was buried near the east entrance of the church. A large rock marks the place.
2001 – Father Gerald Ploof from SS Charles and Helena in Clio, was appointed Canonical Pastor for two years hiring Sr. Elaine LaBell as Pastoral Manager in July of that year. Elaine LaBell is a Grand Rapids Dominican Sister.
Fr. Leroy White was appointed Sacramental Minister.
2002 – Fr. Joseph Krupp was appointed Sacramental Minister.
2003 – Fr. Francis Faraci was appointed Sacrament Minister. In June of 2003 Sr. Elaine LaBell became appointed as Pastoral Coordinator.
When Bishop Boyea became bishop of the Diocese of Lansing, in 2008, he appointed Canonical Pastors to oversee each of the parishes with Pastoral Coordinators. At that time, Fr. Gerald Ploof was designated the canonical pastor for St. Francis Xavier parish. July 2011, when Fr. Jerry retired, the new pastor of SS Charles and Helena, Fr. Thomas Butler was appointed as the Canonical Pastor for St. Francis Xavier.
2012 – Fr. Bob McGraw became the pastor at SS. Charles and Helena in Clio, becoming the Canonical Pastor for St. Francis Xavier.
2014 – Sr. Elaine LaBell stepped down as Pastoral Coordinator for a position in Grand Rapids serving her religious community as Director of Vocations. Scott Fitzgerald, through Fr. Bob McGraw, was appointed Pastoral Associate.
2015 – Fr. Kenneth Coughlin was appointed the pastor of SS. Charles and Helena in Clio and St. Francis Xavier.
Our Parish Family continues to flourish. We are growing as intentional disciples falling ever in love with Jesus, called to pray and to serve in this community of Otisville and its surroundings.